12 December 2008

Brown Bikes on Blue Bikes

A UPS parcel was delivered to my door today via bicycle.  

There were two parcel carriers: a woman wearing a heavy brown coat, pants, helmet and reflective vest riding a blue Trek flat-bar bike with no fenders, pulling a single axel, open-topped trailer .  The other carrier was on the same type of bike, no trailer, but was wearing a helmet, brown shirt and shorts.  

With the driving rain and 40F temperature today, this was not the ideal setup for either rider.  I saw them a few more times in my neighborhood, always looking lost and a bit tired, but I can't tell you how exciting this was.  When we were in England last month, we saw many Royal Mail carriers delivering the post by bicycle, and even more used post-bicycles being used by college students in Cambridge as cargo/city bikes.  

I was so shocked that I didn't think to take a photo of this rather momentous occasion, but will try to catch them in action with the Canon soon...

No comments: